Thursday, March 20, 2008

Short stay in Paris to wind down...

My Spring '08 world tour is winding down after almost a week here in Paris. Work was quite productive here with with colleagues, partners, and customers, but fortunately I had a little time to wander around the city and and enjoy a brisk early spring here. I love to explore cities by just walking...though obviously much more fun with Katz around. It's been almost five years since were were last here ... and I had almost forgotten how beautifully the historic buildings are lit, so that was a real treat. And as a bonus, in most places at night there weren't too many tourists -- the Marais and even the Ill de la Cite were surprisingly peaceful.

Our office is near Trocadero by the Eiffel Tower, and I so was quite surprised by the hordes of tourists even in 8-12 degree weather. On Tuesday evening I thought I might try to blend into the crowd and take the elevator to the top for a view of the city at dusk ... but the queue was so long and I wasn't terribly patient, so I decided to go for two other tourist activities instead -- avoiding sidewalk landmines, and having a warm crepe fromage from a street-side vendor.

Other than going for evening strolls, I haven't had much time to explore the city on this trip. But I have had a few wonderful meals. On Wednesday night I went to a lovely restaurant in the western part of the city: Les Jardins de Camille with lovely food, good company, and a wonderful glass wall with a view of La Defense and the Eiffel Tower. I guess I can say I've never gone to the top, but have seen the twinkly strobe lights at the top of several hours...

For my last full meal in Paris, I was in an intimate bistro in St. Germain called "Au 35", located on 35 rue Jacob. This was fitting end to the trip - a salad with duck confit, a sublime chicken pastilla with a spiced honey sauce, and an assortment of cheeses for dessert. Very tasty food, with reasonable prices in a convenient location.

No comments: