Thursday, October 11, 2007

Did someone say Zabar's?

While Jonathan was enjoying BMWland, I made my way around the old center of Munich (between naps). While I'd hoped to get to some museums, I found walking around for a couple hours (and napping) an excellent way to spend the day.

Having read about it, I was delighted when I stumbled over Zabar's Uber East. That is, Dallmayer, a food purveyor "since 1700." (Yeah, okay, a smidge older than Zabar's.) It was a great pitstop the early afternoon -- with nooks devoted to specific products -- pastries, breads, meats, produce, fish, tea, coffee, lots and lots of lox being sliced before my very eyes (note to self for next year), and some tasty pistachio cookies for sampling :).

The other major stop of my walking tour today was Munich's Viktualienmarkt, the two-hundred year old food market in the old city center, with hundreds of stalls devoted to everything from meat and cheese to honey (yes, a store devoted to honey) and fresh fruit juice. I enjoyed a couple bretzel rolls, fresh from the oven (better crust-to-inside ratio than a regular bretzel) along with some chevre (another stall) and a tall glass of fresh grapefruit juice (yet another stall). An excellent lunch.

No comments: