Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rough life - working and eating in Barcelona

Life's rough - I've been working at MAX here in Barcelona. In fact, I presented my session today to a fairly packed room. I think it went pretty well: the response during and after was upbeat, and the few people who filled out the comments forms were overwhelmingly positive.

For dinner tonight we headed over to Inopia, based upon a suggestion from a recent Mark Bittman piece in the NYT. Evidently it's run by Alberto Adrià, so for several reasons this is the closest we'll get to El Bulli on this trip.

We asked our waiter to select some tapas that he thought we'd enjoy based upon our brief constraints: no seafood (I know, I know, when in Barcelona...), and no meat from "above the neck". (Some things not to be done twice--here an attempt not to repeat my experience inadvertently ordering lamb brains in Madrid in 2005.) Anyway, the waiter did a wonderful job - some olives; croquettes; fried bread-covered meat things with tasty pimiento sauce; deep fried eggplant with a "honey" - closer to molasses glaze; lamb and pork brochettes; and for dessert, today's special: chilled figs with a yogurt sauce and orange zest. Quite good.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey! This is so cool! You put my blog to shame. I need to do some updating! Sounds like you're having a great time, adventures running the gamut. This is a great way to keep up with you!