Monday, October 15, 2007

Aventures in the Alps

On Saturday morning we picked up our rental car . As I'm certain Jonathan will want to give plenty of detail, suffice it to say I really liked our charming C Class, which we named Clara - we did, of course, have to call her something when we thanked her for giving us directions.

Favorite moment in preparing for this short trip:
M: "I wonder what I should wear..."
J: "It'll be warm. It's south of here."
M: "It's south, but it's in the MOUNTAINS."
J: "Oh.... right."
I got away with an undershirt, a shirt, a pull over, a wool cardigan, a wrap, gloves, and a hat. Didn't need it all, but glad to have had it. It was probably about as cold as it was on Thursday morning in Munich, where, in spite of jeans and three layers one of which was the wool cardigan, I was glad to have gloves to stay warm! Anyway...

While I'm told the purpose of renting the car was to drive to Schloss Neuschwanstein, I believe the desire to go there had a lot to do with driving on the autobahn. Again, details to J -- check back later. We visited both castles in located in Schwangau: Schloss Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, though Neuschwanstein was a more impressive castle and a better tour -- more furnishings; more beautiful castle and siting; more details about Ludwig, the castle, the furnishings, the location, etc. throughout the tour.

No comments: